River Des Peres

To the screeching silence I listen 

As drops of saltwater glisten


In the translucent haze of blurred sight 


And tangerine glow of lamplight


Cautioning the dangers of acceleration


Under these conditions - precipitation.


Rain like tears and tears like rain


Accumulating, then breaking restrain.


Out of their ducts they escape, 


And down cold cheeks they drape


Moisturizing a dehydrated face 


Like a damp cloth to an old bookcase.


I lick the sodium from my lip,


And onto the scent of the sea I grip.


The traffic light flashes teal;


I press the gas and clutch the wheel.


The streets of life and death intersect;


Which to follow, I cannot detect. 


Fugitives of the eyes trickle, 


Like the drip of an antiquated faucet - fickle


Penetrating through surface tension 


Despite molecular apprehension.


Through my skin, the elements burn


And vanish; to dust they return.

Comments

Popular Posts